As I have discussed on Facebook and this blog, 2014 and 2015 have been difficult years for me. These challenges have forced me to rethink my priorities and set myself on a new path, fuelled by greater focus and enthusiasm.
As I write this post, I sit by a roaring fire and watch the snow float by the window, dusting the spruce and settling in a quiet canopy over the ground at my parents’ home in King City.
I write these five resolutions in a moment of peace.
- Focus on writing and editing. I feel that I have a lot to add to various conversations in academic, professional and social circles. I will try to write every day.
- Be more social. I have been coming of out the shell I crawled into the last few years, and it feels good. I will strive to be more engaged my relationships with family and friends.
- Pray, meditate and contemplate. During the difficult last month, I have turned to meditation and prayer, and it has felt right. I will try to meditate and pray (for at least 5 minutes) three times a day.
- Get fit. I was always an athlete and – due to neglect – I have put on an unhealthy amount of weight. I will focus on getting healthy and rebuilding the discipline I once had around nutrition and exercise.
- Practice my hobbies. I love playing the piano, swimming, fencing and playing games with friends like chess or snooker. I have put these things aside since 2011. I will endeavour to change that this year.
So there you have it. My plan for 2016.